Dear Depression

Dear Depression,

The first time I met you, I was twelve years old,
Huddled in my bed, hands clasping my ears,
I begged my parents to stop. They did not.
When you told me I was worthless, I would take a step back.
Each time I took a step back, your voice grew louder and I shrivelled.
The time you stayed, and I counted the days till it reached fifty,
No one noticed and I prided myself for being such a good actress.
You whispered in my ear, you are a failure and garbage
And no matter how much I fought back, your voice would never go.
People told me that there were worse things in the world
Than parents fighting and fathers leaving,
I believed them and I ignored the obvious signs that you showed.
You made me believe that life was not worth living
When people asked, I could not explain.
You made me a pariah; I would run when they came
Asking me if I was okay but I would never say
That there’s a voice in my head telling me to jump off my roof
That there’s a voice in my head making me lose
That there’s a voice in my head, do you have them too?
I heard about the time, when my friend got raped
And I wondered what was wrong with me
When nothing had happened and yet you would say
Jump, jump, and jump again.
I made you into a being, a person or a cloud
That would follow me around who no one else could see.
You are a sickness who preys on the weak they said
Am I weak? I asked myself. Maybe I am.
I let you in didn’t I? And in return,
You gave me sadness, but not sadness,
When people asked I could not explain.
They told me to look at the light at the end of the tunnel,
But I did not see the light just darkness.
I will see the light.
You will not drag me down to the bottom,
I will crawl out of that hole.
You will not make me question my value,
I will see it no matter the cost.
You will not lead me to oblivion
For I am not meant to stay there.
I will fight,
I will conquer,
And in the end we will tumble
But only one will be the winner.

Love,

Samragni

Comments

Popular Posts